The Asia Microbiota Bank supplies Human Microbiota Transplant (HMT) solution to doctors, clinicians, and hospitals in the region. Contact your doctor directly to inquire about HMT. If you do not have a supervising physician, you may enquire to the Hong Kong Digestive Health Centre. Each doctor may have a slightly different HMT treatment protocol. Generally HMT treatment protocols will be similar, and may include various pre-HMT or post-HMT advice.
- Patients will undergo HMT implants on five consecutive days, or on two sets of five consecutive days (10 days total) over a period of 2-3 weeks.
- Currently, HMT implants are delivered by oral capsule oral or colonoscopy
- Prior to undergoing HMT therapy, individuals will undergo a bowel preparation consisting of either standard bowel prep or colonic water lavage.
Day 1: Bowel preparation
Day 2: HMT delivery via colonoscopy
Days 3-5: HMT delivery via oral capsule
The goal of Human Microbiota Transplant (HMT) is to help rebalance the gut microbiota, which may alleviate some of the symptoms of a GI-related condition. Irritable Bowel Syndrome is a medical condition, which should be treated underneath the supervision of a medical doctor. Any adjustment to medication or prescriptions must be discussed with your supervising doctor. It is essential, therefore, for clients to obtain a referral letter before symptom-specific treatment can begin.
The retail pricing of HMT is suggested pricing. Each Hospital or Clinic may price their programmes differently, depending on what is included.
- Five dose program, capsule delivery: HK $28,800 (approx USD $3,670)
- Ten dose program, capsule delivery: HK $37,800 (approx USD $4,815)
- First dose colonoscopy, additional: HK $11,000 (approx USD $1,400)
The cost of recruiting and testing healthy donors is very high. Though the procedure may seem simple, the operational cost for maintaining a safe and excellent stool donor program is high, and comparatively, this pricing is lower than other fecal microbiota transplant centers around the world.
Some patients may be eligible for discounts on these prices. Please email or call to inquire for further discount pricing.
Community Support & Getting Involved
If you would like to know more information provided by international organizations on FMT, please browse some of the links below.
- The Fecal Transplant Foundation: a resource and advocacy site run by a team of physicians, healthcare professionals and patients to promote safe access to FMT
- The Power of Poop: a large information site for patients, by patients on FMT and microbiome health
- C Diff Foundation: an education and advocacy group that promotes the prevention and treatment of C. difficile
- C. Difficile Support Group: a forum for non-medical support and advice related to C. difficile
- American Gastroenterological Association Fecal Microbiota Transplant Information Center: offers information for patients, clinicians, and the general public, including a database of physicians who offer FMT in the US and a guide about who might be a good candidate for the procedure. We hope to soon add a resource link connecting patients to physicians in Asia!
- Center for Disease Control: offers general information for patients and guidelines for clinicians, healthcare facilities, and public health departments